Food, General, Popular
Breakfast Cookies: on-the-go healthy yumminess
Posted July 9, 2015 by Bethanie Lunn
These breakfast cookies are so easy to make. Yep, I just said cookies…for breakfast! They’re healthy and packed full of fruit and oats, making them a great snack for kids lunchboxes or you on-the-go too. All you do is throw the ingredients together in a mixing bowl, mould into shapes and bake for less than 20 minutes. A recipe all the family will love – even fussy eaters!
Watch the video on how to do it:
Makes 12 large cookies
- 2 cups quick oats
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup peanut butter (almond butter is a good alternative)
- 1/4 cup pure honey
- 1 large banana, mashed
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 tbsp milled linseed
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 160’C and line a large baking sheet or tray (or two), with greaseproof paper. Set aside while you make the mixture
- Combine all of the ingredients into a large bowl – give it some elbow grease as it can be quite tough to mix. You can always use a handheld electric blender if needed
- Grab handfuls of the mixture and roll into balls. Drop them onto the lined tray leaving a space between each as we’re going to flatten them. Do this until you use all the mixture
- Using a spatula, gentle flatten each ball and tidy up the edges until you get a cookie shape. Watch the video for this bit
- Note: The cookies will not spread in the oven so the shape you put them in, is the shape they will come out as
- Bake for 17 minutes or until edges are slightly golden brown. I know this seems precise but it is tried and tested. Ovens do vary though so check them at 14 minutes.
Allow to cool and enjoy 🙂
The cookies will stay fresh at room temperature for one week but you can freeze them up to three months. Ours however only lasted 48 hours!
Adapted from Sally’s Baking Addiction